ペイジ

Friday, May 6, 2011

Claremont Quarter & Koko Black

Yesterday (or should I say on Thursday) I had a day off work and no classes and Taylor finished work at 2.30pm so we went on a date to Perth's newly renovated and ever-so-chic upscale shopping centre, Claremont Quarter. It features the David Jones department store (which stocks an extensive range of a mix of imported and local high-end designer clothing among your usual department store offerings), a very nicely fitted out Coles Supermarket, a farmer's market, high-street to high end designer fashion boutiques (particularly of the Australian variety), a smattering of other small stores purveying their wares and a few cafes and eateries.


There was no real intention to do any shopping whilst I was there and nothing really caught my eye too much (but that may be because my bank account is still recovering after some pricey leather goods buys) so we ended going to a Melbourne-originated cafe in the centre by the name of Koko Black, which is one of the most hyped cafes at the moment in the city and one that specialises in decadent and sinfully delicious European style hand-crafted chocolates.




Koko Black change their menu based on what's in-season and pride themselves on using local ingredients to flavour their chocolates, they also have a range of delicious gourmet in-house ice creams. The Queen of Hearts High Tea is blogged a lot about amongst Perth foodies and is one of their more popular offerings, it's also reasonably priced at $18.95pp which is $15-$20 cheaper than a lot of other establishments offering the high tea service. That being said, Taylor and I weren't that hungry and it was more just me being keen to try the food and drinks there so we shared a Chocolate Affogatto Spoil at $14.50.

Sorry for the awful photo!
According to the menu the Chocolate Affogatto spoil is: 

Koko Black’s vanilla bean ice cream with a small carafe of Belgian hot chocolate to create your own affogato. Accompanied by a chocolate cake, two Belgian chocolates and a shortbread.

In any case it was divine! Taylor and I couldn't really finish it because it was really rich and I'm watching my weight but it was delectable! The chocolates were quite nice with the heart chocolate being flavoured with what I think is some form of beer? The shortbread was your garden variety good cafe quality biscuit and the chocolate cake was very rich without being too heavy. But...the standout for me was the excellent indulgent vanilla ice cream and the to-die-for thick flavoursome Belgian hot chocolate which made for an amazing chocolate affogatto! 

I highly recommend that one tries Koko Black, particularly if you're a chocolate lover- and you can always go shopping afterwards! Hee-hee.

Here are some random photos of Taylor and I at the cafe camwhoring:






1 comment:

  1. JANET!how have you been? and how on earth did you find me! ehe. I was actually in europe this time last year :( Just cannot wait to go back! What have you been doing with yourself?

    ReplyDelete